May 7, 2009

Gardens and Language Mistakes

I have started a small flowerbed here in front of our little cottage. Last week at this time this bit of earth was bursting with green and life.
2009Apr30_3749
I spent a lot of effort hoeing and raking and convincing micah to chainsaw and pick-axe. The result is a spot of ground where nothing is growing at all.
2009May04_3853
Everyone is interested in my efforts. No one seems concerned that all I’ve done so far is kill everything I touched :) and the strawberry seeds I plated don’t seem to be doing anything either!
2009Apr27_3800
I plan to transplant some wild violets, mint and blackberries from down by the river and plant some wildflower seeds I brought from home. I also have some pumpkin seeds that I bought last week on a whim.

I keep trying to tell people that I have never really had a garden before or at least not since I was in Kindergarten. Over the weekend I made the error of telling someone that this was my first zahoda instead of zahrada. Just a few letters difference. What I actually said was “I don’t know what I am doing. this is my first toilet” 

I will not add a toilet to my garden. I am thinking more along the lines of a terra cotta dwarf, just in case my real skill is killing plants.

No comments: